It has been established over time that, with over 3 million mobile applications present in all the major App stores, it is crucial to get your app recognised in the endless pool of similar applications. Although what presents itself as a challenge might be easily tackled as common but significant practice, i.e., App Store Optimisation for all mobile app development companies.
App store optimisation, or ASO, presented itself as the means for any major app store to fetch the app listing and place the app higher in the list of the category apps, basically making your android app or iOS app viral. Today, ASO has become the fundamental practice for businesses to make their applications rank higher on all the major app stores.
What is App Store Optimisation?
ASO is the process of improving the visibility of your submitted application on any of the app stores. Just like, SEO (Search engine optimisation) is for websites, ASO is for Mobile apps. Furthermore, SEO also includes CRO (Conversion rate optimisation), which focuses on enhancing the conversion of App store impressions into downloads.
What is the purpose of ASO?
The core goal of App store optimisation is increasing the number of downloads for any application. Although, the secondary objectives can be listed down as following:
- Enhancing engagement with Audience and customers
- Fetching positive reviews and ratings for your application
- Increasing your brand’s exposure
On app stores, around 65% of the applications are found through direct searches. So, this establishes why ASO practices are crucial for your application.
What are the common practices for ASO?
Source : Leanplum.com
- Relevant keywords and their use
The keywords chosen to go with your application must be relevant to the category of your application. Therefore, the very first step you need to work upon after the mobile app development is coming up with a long list of pertinent keywords. After recognising the keywords, the next task is to use them at all the right places. For example,
- Use of the core keyword in the Title of your app
- Use of the right keywords in the short description and description of your app
- The application also ranks based on the keywords used in the developer’s name and URL
- Moreover, the keywords used in reviews can also have an impact on your ASO.
- Creating a balance between your search rankings and conversion rate with your subtitle and promotional text. (For iOS apps)
- In Apple’s app store, you are given 30 characters to make the best use of. You can take advantage of it by place all the right keywords to improve your conversion rate by 15-20%
- Keywords in the promotional text are not directly indexed for searches but still it can lead to upto 35% lift in your conversion rates.
- Localize your mobile application to get global
For a Global outreach, you need to expand your listing to different countries. In order to do this, you need to do a research on each country’s keywords. After that, you can localise your listing and keep a check on your app’s performance in each country.
The thing to remember here is, for every country you would have to choose a different set of screenshots and color and image preferences.
- Take special care of the user rating and reviews
Reviews hold a considerable weightage in terms of ASO of your APP. Always remember to answer your reviews and make sure to turn the negative feedback into positive review. Use keywords in the review answers as well. And ask for positive feedback in times of good rating.
- Highlight your videos and visuals
It really helps to have a short, intriguing but relevant videos on your display page. Videos best work in case of games but if your application is of another domain but still allows a video into, it’s great.
Visual assets have a great impact on conversion rates. So never underestimate the graphic displays of your screenshots and video.
Apart from all of these pointers to help you out, there are other things that need to be taken care of. For instance, Google’s play store and Apple’s app store work in very different way and follow an etires separate line of checklist. You need to put efforts into reading each one’s guidelines and work your way into success with your unique mobile application.